Friday, February 19, 2010

Big Words- Not a fan.





You know what's annoying?

I'm not talking about little annoyances such as getting caught behind someone who is walking too slow or people who say " I love Rock 'n Roll!" But have no appreciation for Elvis.

Lately I have been extremely aggravated by people who are enamored/infatuated with Big Words.

People who use big words in every day small conversations are, simply put, not my favorite kinda people these days...

I'm a Plain Jane kinda gal. I don't use big words in my vocabulary. I'm not mentally challenged (okay, let's not kid ourselves. I suck at math). But math doesn't count. Susie Q said so.

Back to my point, why is it that people feel the need to use big words when small words are just as effective? People who think it is necessary to put a big word in a conversation about, say, movies, are going to see my eyes roll.

While discussing a movie, I don't want to hear someone practice GRE vocabulary.

" Gawd, Vince Vaughn, is like, soooo ostentatious."

Hello people, Vince Vaughn is cocky and a show off. Why use a big word when the little words work?

From a Plain Jane perspective, I have no idea why people are so obsessed with humongous words in the first place. Maybe while writing a paper or trying to show off in front of a professor, fine. I understand that big words are indispensable to a college student.

But really, is it necessary while discussing Vince Vaughn? Really?

I have never been what one calls a quiet person. My personality and voice are well, loud. I know that I am also a bit chatty at times... However, what I would not call myself is loquacious, while speaking informally. Big words are not always better words.

There are a few Big, or rather odd words I learned/heard while growing up from Susie Q and The Dutchmen.

Susie Q: "Julie, don't say things like that! That language is putrid!"-- this phrase is commonly used by Susie Q after I have said a word which she finds utterly disgusting (the four letter kind). Susie Q has been an avid fan of the words putrid and cantankerous for years.

The Dutchmen: "Can I get anyone a libation?"-- In my house, the word libation means a drink with alcohol served at a social gathering. What The Dutchmen is really saying is "What kinda drink can I get ya?" or "Name your poison." The actual definition of the word libation is connected to the Catholic Church. My dad never mentioned that. Thus, while using the word libation in my early 20's, I offended a very devout Catholic at a Christmas work party.

Moral of today's rant: big words are not always better words. Lets do everyone a favor and not forget to use a miniature word in between the (over-use) of gigantic words, okay?

Thank you.

2 comments: